Thursday, January 29, 2004

What Ibsen never wrote about Kierkegaard (but Nietzsche thought)

1. Kierkegaard admired Abraham's leap of faith, while acknowledging he hadn't made it (for) himself.

2. Ibsen subscribed reincarnation. Was he aware?

3. Peer Gynt reworks Kierkegaard's required leap: Here's someone, like Kierkegaard, who hasn't made it. Is Peer Gynt the butt of a joke? Is he a weakling, a coward, someone who is not being there?

4. Is he like Borges' I:

I am he who knows himself no less vain
than the vain looker-on who in the mirror
of glass and silence follows the reflection
or body (it's the same thing) of his brother.
I am, my silent friends, the one who knows
there is no other pardon or revenge
than sheer oblivion. A god has granted
this odd solution to all human hates.
Despite my many wondrous wanderings,
I am the one who never has unravelled
the labyrinth of time, singular, plural,
gruelling, strange, one's own and everyone's.
I am no one. I did not wield a sword
in battle. I am echo, emptiness, nothing.

5. Objectify your 'I'!

What is 'I'? Lacan: Object a is the fantasmatic 'stuff of the I',
as that which confers on the /S/, on the fissure in the symbolic
order, on the ontological void that we call 'subject', the
ontological consistency of a 'person', the semblance of a fullness of
being.

"What is I but a metaphor?"

6. Let's vacate I

7. Appear in style